- 1 large onion
- 1 3″ (7.5-cm) piece fresh gingerroot
- 10 cilantro sprigs
- 4 green onions
- 1 sweet potato (8 oz/250 g), peeled
- 1 star anise
- 6 cups (1.5 L) low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 lb (450 g) chopped cooked chicken
- Place the oven rack in the top third of the oven, and preheat the broiler to HIGH.
- Cut the onion into quarters. Peel the ginger and cut it into thick slices. Remove the leaves from the cilantro stems with the Herb Stripper, saving the leaves for later. Cut the white portion off the green onions; slice the remaining green onion and save for later.
- Place the onion, ginger, cilantro stems, and the whites of the green onion in the Rockcrok® Dutch Oven. Place under the broiler, uncovered, for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are slightly charred.
- Meanwhile, spiralize the sweet potato using the spaghetti blade on the Veggie Spiralizer.
- Transfer the Dutch oven to the stovetop. Add the star anise and stock, and bring to a simmer, uncovered, over high heat.
- Remove the charred vegetables and spices from the broth with the Scoop ‘N Drain. Add the sweet potato noodles and chicken and simmer for 3–5 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are crisp-tender and chicken is warmed through.
- Garnish with the reserved cilantro leaves and remaining green onion.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per Serving (about 1 cup/250 mL): Calories 230, Total Fat 3 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 350 mg, Carbohydrate 19 g, Fiber 3 g, Sugars 4 g, Protein 30 g
Take it slow: To make this recipe in the Rockcrok® Slow Cooker Stand, substitute the cooked chicken for 1½ lbs (750 g) of raw chicken. Complete steps 2–4 as written, then add the star anise, stock, and raw chicken to the Dutch oven with the charred vegetables. Cook, covered, on HIGH for 4 hours, or LOW for 8 hours. Before serving, remove the herbs and spices and transfer the Dutch oven to the stove and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potatoes and finish as directed.